View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
teatreeoil007

I am fairly right-brained, but left-brained when I have to be....but I am more naturally a right-brained person. Artistic stuff and language has always come fairly easy to me. I was good in French when I took it in school, though I've forgotten a lot of it. I think perhaps there is a misconception out there that drugs and alcohol enhances the flow of art. If it does, though, it's a temporary thing and as we know it can eventually rob a person of so much.

In one of the guitar workshops I took there was time for questions and one of the students asked the teacher. "Do you use any kind of substance to enhance your playing?" The teacher was a bit taken aback by that question and said "No, I don't. I really don't. I don't need it and if anything that would interfere with my playing. You don't need to use drugs and alcohol to be able to play well." I know there are a lot of musicians who do imbibe...but there are also many musicians in recovery too and they continue to play and perform well. Sammy Shelor, a reknowned, stellar banjo picker, for one.

I feel fairly strongly that creative outlets are good therapy.