View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Greenwood618

It is hard to make much sense out of what you are saying. Perhaps try to pick one point, your best one, and stick with it.

However, I would say you and anyone would be hard pressed to find any scientific authority in the field of human reproduction who would dispute that the procreative impulse is classified as a survival drive. But fine, it is superfluous to my point, so you can throw it out and I am still right.

Second, it is not a metaphor by your overbroad definition.

The Beast is the name given to the perverted survival drive that seeks gratification through alcohol consumption. Bear in mind that naming something doesn't make it a metaphor. Please keep that topmost in the brain for now.

We name the constellation of physical and mental conditions that result in the bodily demand for food "hunger." That does not mean hunger is a metaphor for those conditions. We use "thirst" in the the same way.

By your definition, the word hospital is a metaphor for the large building where sick people go. "Person" is a metaphor for the carbon-based life forms of humanoid construction. "Computer" is a metaphor for the machine I am typing on.

They are not metaphors. They are names of things.

Now if I were to say, "Greenwood618's Doberman Pinscher was louder than Jack Trimpey's Beast today," that would be a metaphor.