View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Wholesome

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post

I can't "accept the existence of the Beast" any more than I can accept that a Higher Power will save me from my insanity (especially since I am quite sane and don't need saving). I'm not fully versed in AVRT, but I did use the AV tool in early sobriety quite a bit, and I made a plan. I also read the Big Book of AA and went to enough meetings to decide I disagree with the Steps and the approach. I wanted community, but AA meetings just made me want to get drunk.

So just out of curiosity, do you not hear your AV in your consciousnesses? I don't think of my Beast as an actual beast, it's just a term for that base animal drive and low down behaviour that accompanies addiction. For me as soon as I read about AVRT I thought YES! The real me is the one who promised in the morning that I'm wasn't going to drink that day and my AV was the voice that had justified drinking by the afternoon. I 100% believe I have an AV that talks to me from the booze Beast rogue survival drive that was born from feeding that desire to escape and feel good from substances. It has nothing to do with mythology or metaphors. It is a real drive. I can feel IT and hear IT in my thoughts. More, more, feed me more, enough is never enough, never say never.

With you about meetings and wanting to get drunk. They are an AV paradise!