Old 06-07-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
schnappi99

I drive an AA double-winner woman to the alanon meeting I also attend. Over Lent she mentioned she was taking a break from hugs due to some men in AA going a bit too far; resting hands on hips, holding on too long (presumably trying to feel more etc). She's been in AA & alanon for some time and knows the game, and tends to be a bit prickly over people and personalities but I do sympathize. To come in to a meeting and get "handled" is distracting and annoying and to hear her tell it this low level stuff happens a lot.

This kind of thing happens in Alanon too, we had a case where a newcomer man started chatting up an attractive young lady, got her phone # ostensibly to talk program but he made it clear he had additional interests. As it happened her boyfriend attended our partner AA meeting, thankfully it was handled quickly and carefully by both fellowships; the newcomer was asked to leave, she & her boyfriend stayed.

It seems like this kind of thing goes with the territory; people come in variously troubled, maybe the AA and Alanon meeting is the only place they feel good.. early on that was the case for me. Some may take that farther than they should.

Personally I avoid hugging women in my meetings unless I know them well, but I'll glady talk, press their hand, pat a shoulder etc if someone's hurting.