View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

I find the separation to be crucial. The IT as opposed to the I distinction is paramount , for me.

The IT is the desire for alcohol( intoxication) .

IT, once born, will always be a 'part' of 'me', as are all my desires. The separation, for me, is the awareness of the discrete desire for intoxication that drives the AV (any thoughts , feelings, urges, mental images ect, of future consumption.)

The mere presence of the discrete desire , aka IT, is not what 'caused' my addiction, acting on and indulging that desire did.

"Listening to" ,"agreeing with" the AV , acting on the thoughts of indulging the desire was me choosing to consume alcohol.

Recognizing that the discrete desire exists and the awareness and compartmentalizing ,if you will, of any thoughts or feelings that if acted on will result in a positive result in consuming alcohol and then not acting on them are the end result of my BP.

I made my BP , I includes the desire (IT) , I decided to never indulge IT( the desire) again, because I can, best decision I ever made

The structural model defines the origin of the desire , and , for me, AVRT gave me the perspective on how to implement a 'metaphoric' separation .

For me , since the first sip it has been Me and/with IT, since my BP IT still is , but I've decided IT is no longer operable( IT actually never was operable, the desire itself didn't make me drink, but indulging IT certainly made it harder not to .)