Old 06-05-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
tursiops999

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
"concern I would have about including the words "With God's strength" in a Big Plan is that it makes it dependant on your faith and so it will fall if this is ever lost.

IMO you could still draw strength from your belief that God is with you on this even if He is not explicitly mentioned in the Big Plan, just as you could with anything good such as a fitness regime for example.
HI Karen-- welcome! Glad you're here.

My thoughts are similar to Aleric's. My only concern would be if I made my non-drinking status contingent on a belief in God. I think my AV might use that against me --- if something happened that caused me to question my faith in God, would it then be OK to drink? And my AV might even try to manufacture a crisis of faith ... "see, that thing happened, so God must not really be with you, so your vow doesn't count, so ... what's stopping us from drinking?".

That said, my understanding of AVRT, is that once we've made the decision to quit, we're free to practice our beliefs and use any and all resources to become the people we want to be, and live in accordance with our values. In your prayers you could thank god for having given you the power of choice.

Ps, edited to add, im just trying to explain my own understanding of AVRT. I'm not the "thought police" lol, you may come to a different understanding. There are also, as you probably know, faith-based approaches in which one explicitly calls on one's higher power to stay sober.