Old 06-05-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Interesting AV scenario - big deal or no?

My current job requires a high security clearance. While admitting past alcohol problems is not an automatic disqualifier, it would definitely throw a wrench in the works. Consequently, I have never admitted / always denied the existence of alcohol problems around work/to my employer.

My AV loves this, and if I have learned anything it is that if my AV loves something it has a very high probability of being bad for me. If I'm at some work-related social function and someone offers me a drink I decline it, of course, but I never give the real reason why. My AV is always right there at those moments saying, "that's right - you want to leave the door open to drinking with them in the future".

While deflecting seems reasonable in the context of my job, I have probably been taking it too far. This past weekend, for instance, we were at a social function where my wife works. I was offered drinks and made up excuses instead of just telling the truth. While it's possible discussing my alcoholic past with that crowd could make it back to my current employer - it's not very likely. I felt disappointed with myself for doing this - as if I was handing my AV a small victory.

Well, I am quitting this job in a few months. I have started my own business and it is looking like it is going to be successful. My next boss is familiar with my drinking history and is not concerned. He knows I am a swell guy.

I am looking forward to not having to deal with this dichotomy any longer, but how big of a deal do you think it has been? I haven't drank, but I suppose you could make the argument that it was more likely as a result of not being more forthright. Especially because one of my co-workers gave me a handle of Jack for doing him a favor a couple of months ago!
(That got re-gifted to someone my wife works with.)