View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pondlady

Welcome VM

What a great post, you have a lot of self awareness.......I was still a bit in denial when I quit drinking wine ( all alcohol, but wine was my thing ) 5 years ago.

I believe there is a genetic predisposition to drinking problems and we take to drinking, like a duck to water. The good news is, you don't have to live that life.

I decided to stop drinking in June, 5 years ago...the summer stretched before me. I had to change up my routine and either not be home, when I'd normally reach for the wine and goblet, or distract myself. I took lots of walks, ran errands etc. I found if I could get through that 2- 3 hour period when I normally drank, the cravings subsided.

I kept my routine very simple, going to bed and getting up, around the same time, enjoying scented candles and bubble baths in the evenings....I treated myself to soft new sheets and PJ's.

I asked my husband to not drink beer, till I was over the hump. He didn't have a problem, but I'd vow to not drink wine, then he'd crack a cold one after gardening and jump in the pool and I'd be off to the races.

I also avoided the wine department in our grocery department.....it always looks so glamorous and I didn't need the temptation. I didn't have a big social engagement for about 4 months, so never put myself around alcohol. I had no booze in the house.

5 years later, I can tell you there is NOTHING I miss about alcohol / wine. Total waste of time, money and calories. I work out every day and my interest in things I love, has returned.