View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
PhoenixJ

Hi VM- SR is great, a game changer for me. I also need f2f support- through whatever it takes. I wrote somewhere else recently that I now put the same effort (if not more) into sobriety than I did in drinking. So that means making a commitment to myself- to do stuff every day that keeps it real. If I just got sober and did not have that reminder I WOULD relapse- and the next relapse for most is far worse- for me it WILL mean death.
So AA meetings, SMART, psychologist, counsellor, doctor check ups, a routine, journal, writing, art, shouting at god, doing things which are positive 'outside my comfort zone', listen to what people say- and try what they advise instead of the 'I tried that once, but it was not for me', mindful breathing, exercise. HALTS, (Hungry,Angry,Lonely, Tired, Sad- if anxious- am I any of these, if so fix it- or get some one to help me fix it), diet, water...blah. Proactive action with informed decision making- not just hoping- or wanting luck.
Good for you- you are young enough with the awareness you have to make a real difference. Put out the spot fire before it turns into a firestorm (like I did). Empathy and support to you.
BTW- you are doing this- firstly for YOU, not just for your family. PJ