View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kenton

Hi vinomum,

I'm a mum of little ones too and I lost my dad last year to alcoholism. I also have a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other and for many years I let the devil call the shots. Like you, my devil liked me to drink wine. Often and always to excess.

One day I decided, like you that enough was enough. I told the devil to shut up, poured all the wine away and stopped drinking. Whenever the devil piped up, which was often in the beginning, I reminded myself that I wasn't drinking today. It's hard to imagine months and years without wine. Doing it one day at a time is far easier. Now when the devil starts to talk, I post here. I remind myself that I have lost NOTHING by giving up wine and gained EVERYTHING .

Decide now that wine o clock is not happening today. When the devil starts to talk, post here, have a bath, read a book, watch TV. Do anything except pour that glass of wine. Take it one day at a time. The devil on my shoulder will never go away. But now it's so much easier to ignore. Good luck