View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Daucuscarota

Sober Day # 121 after being dependent on wine, daily, for years.

Hi Vinomum,

Welcome to SR. Congratulations on taking a first big step towards health by joining here. This is a great place and there are a lot of caring people here. You will get a lot of support.

4 1/2 months ago, I could almost have written your post word for word (except for a few details, for ex: my kids are older now).
I too was a slave to wine for years. It totally controlled me, and all day I looked forward to opening that bottle at 5 PM. I was drinking about a bottle and a quarter almost every night-----it was very rare that I skipped a day. I was hiding how much I was drinking from my family as well. I felt a lot of shame. Also, I was starting to get medical symptoms (my blood pressure was up, GI problems, etc.)
It was truly like being in prison. I lost all interest in everything else except for drinking.

Anyway, I have not had a drop for 4 months now and I cannot tell you enough how much better life is now! I am free from the chains of bondage!!!!All of the medical symptoms are gone, and I feel such a sense of peaceful calm, and no more shame.

This site has helped me immensely. There is a great community here, and there is always someone here 24/7 if I need support.
You are going to have to stop drinking completely, cold turkey. People like us can not moderate or taper, or "just have one glass" , because our neurocircuitry has been physiologically changed by our addiction to alcohol, which is why we have no control over it----it controls us.
If I can do it, you can! If you have severe withdrawel symptoms, you will need medical supervision to stop. I didn't, but everyone is different. After the first few days without alcohol, the cravings will let up. Just keep coming here every day and read and post.
Join the June thread (in this forum).
Recovery does not just mean quitting drinking, it means creating a whole new life, and learning to deal with stresses in new ways other than pouring a glass (substitution with healthier coping mechanisms.)

Besides this site, I strongly recommend that you read this book:
The Easy Way to Stop Drinking by Allen Carr

and take the mini course on this site:
https://rational.org/index.php?id=253

and keep reading here. Start with this thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Wishing you the best of luck! Sending you strength and hugs. We can do this together!