Old 06-04-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Tetra

Today I spent some time with my parents as they will be 44 years married on 7th June and I will be at work then. We went for a walk in the woods and had lunch out. 44 years. It seems like a long time doesn't it?
Well some of you know the troubled relationship I have with my mom. How they kept it together for so long is beyond me. At times I feel like my relationship with her is slightly better as I am managing to take my therapists advice and not take everything she says so personally and I do try to make the odd joke now which I could not have done in the past. Maybe it's a new found confidence now that I have a job and I don't feel like a complete loser anymore. Other days it's two steps forward and one step back with her.

Yeah she gets on my nerves when she starts whining about how awful her life is. Ok my sister and I have difficulties, of that there is no doubt. Of the 3 of us, we will probably never set the world on fire with our careers. My brother is different perhaps. An IT guy will probably be guaranteed a job.

Still she has a lot to be grateful for. She has a nice house, a wonderful husband (my dad is indeed a walking saint), she had a good career (she was so good at teaching that the trainee teachers from the local university used to be brought to her classes to show how you teach and control a class properly). My siblings and myself have good manners and we are polite and kind to everyone we meet.

Thank you mom and dad (especially dad!) for showing me that even though you want to run away from it all sometimes that the love you have gives you a reason to stay. The two of you are proof that marriage can sometimes be worth it and even though it did not happen for me it gives me hope that what the two of you have does exist. Happy anniversary.