Thread: ugly and fat
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 03:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
BatholithBabe

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
I saw some pictures of myself the other day archived on my phone from about 3 years ago around the worst of my drinking career, I always feel a little startled at the puffy face and a little ashamed at how the drinking puff face was much different than the heavier set, sober me.

It took some real, consistent recovery work for me to start feeling comfortable in my own skin. Some days are better than others, but this is the body I inhabit and the brain that runs it, so I best treat it with respect and kindness.

Part of living sober and healthy is loving yourself, and turning that internal dialogue you keep with yourself takes some daily work just like keeping up with recovery. Learning how to love ourselves and find validation and worth inside of us, for ourselves is part of our journey.

I find that, the gifts I have been given so far in recovery, have really helped me grow empathy and love for myself, kindness and caring, and and the desire to, like thomas says, to make little self-improvement projects.
Little things to make myself better, one thing at a time, nothing too big. Have a nice bath, get a haircut, paint my nails, get a new workout out fit or just a nice new outfit; yoga, meditation and positive affirmations are great! Splurge on some mani/pedis spa days, buy yourself a treat or a gift or even flowers just because. Be your own best friend.

If it's early days and you're still feeling pretty raw, get lots of rest, hydrate well, eat as well as you can manage, move a little, get fresh air, read something positive if you can manage, and lean on the people who understand and care.
Fat and ugly are two four letter words your need to banish from your vocabulary.

Ever looked at yourself in the mirror, in the eyes, and told yourself, "I love you"?
Try it. You deserve to love yourself. So I'm sending you love and hugs, it's going to get better- it always gets better, if we keep working at it. It's an inside job first.
What she said!