View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by SoberRunner View Post
For the record, I meant comfortable as in it felt like a gloomy place. I prefer to surround myself with positive people--even if we're going through life struggles--and the AA meetings I've gone to had a "Woe is me" vibe and everyone looked sad, angry or miserable. It just wasn't my cup of tea. That said, I know I need to find some sort of group...
You're missing my point, my friend.

I don't really care what part of it felt 'uncomfortable' or what you'd 'prefer'.

If you WANT to get sober, you'll be ready to take what you can from any and every available source.

I understand your meaning. I've felt that way about AA myself at times. But I set that aside and looked for the nuggets. I'm not an AA zealot. Many things about AA have rubbed me wrong.

But I went to AA a LOT in the first year.

I read that Big Book over and over.

I still go to AA now and again.

It's got tremendous value to offer anyone seeking to live a life of sobriety.

Next time you go to a meeting and feel it's 'gloomy' - ask yourself what value you can take from the gloom.

Sometimes, the simple reminder that 'gloom is not how I wish to live my life' is a fantastic lesson in embracing Joy, LOVE, ABUNDANCE... in NOT DRINKING THAT DAY.

You asked for advice.

It was offered.

Then you sought to counter it and offer rationale for why "your way" is the way that is right for you.

Which seems a little counter to the fact that you said YOUR WAY ISN'T WORKING AND ASKED FOR ADVICE.