Old 06-02-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

I personally used alcohol as my coping mechanism (failed of course) for anything in life, so I didn't have any specific "triggers" - I drank all the time, every day.

If you are literally having difficulty deciding what to do instead of drinking, perhaps a recovery group locally might be of assistance? Having local support and phone numbers to call at a moments notice can really help until you can get to the point where the urges to drink aren't so strong. Or try spending some more time here - there is almost always someone online 24/7 that can help "talk you down" or walk you through times that you get those urges.

If you haven't yet, this is also a great thread to read when you are looking for "something to do".

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

Another key concept to recognize is that when we think we are "bored" - it's really not that we are bored - it's our addition being unhappy that we cannot drink. Thinking about it fundamentally that way can help too...remind yourself that it's not boredom - it's addiction talking. And we are perfectly able to tell it to go "take a hike" and choose another activity instead.