Old 05-30-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Yes. Friday evening especially for me. That was always my light at the end of the tunnel for the week, and once it was removed I felt bereft. I now go to my favourite AA meeting of the week on Friday. It's out of town so I have tended to lift share so there's a chance for chatting and catching up with my lovely AA pals enroute. By the time I get home it's half ten so no problem to grab a snack then hit the sack so I can be up bright and early and make the most of the weekend.

The mountain walking sounds like a fantastic thing to get back into. I know AAers whose Higher Power is G.O.D. - the Great Out Doors, because it gets the out of themselves and right-sizes them, and there is so much power in nature. Some that we can harness as humans, but mostly it's where we learn to accept that we can't control everything. That we're just for a short time, and have limited importance or impact, and all we can do is the next best thing.

I also had to leave some friends behind. It sometimes saddens me to see them still doing the same old thing and wondering why their lives are still miserable, but we can't change others. Only ourselves. And I needed to stay away from slippery people and slippery places to get and stay sober. Now those people and places have lost their attraction for me, and have nothing to offer me that I want.

As well as leaving some friends behind, I did also reconcile with some who had never joined me on my decades long drinking spree. One, my best friend from age 6 to 16 (who I copped a strop with when she didn't ask me to be her bridesmaid - now I understand full well, why drunk and sloppy bridesmaids might nit have been in her wedding planning ) met up with me on Saturday night for a meal. I've also become a lot closer to my mum since dropping some long held resentments against her (also stemming from a lot of my own stinking thinking) and having time to give her at weekends now that I don't need to spend them either drunk or hungover. Plus, the friends I've made in recovery are true friendships. They're based on understanding, tolerance, and love / fellowship. Something I had no appreciation of in the past, and wouldn't ever let anyone get that close. There was a shiny facade and an invisible wall between me and the world that kept me very lonely, even when surrounded by drinking buddies.

Anyway. I know this time is tough. Really tough! But it does get easier, and eventually better than we could ever have imagined, if we stick with it and accept the rough days along with the smooth.

Take care. BB