View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ananda

Originally Posted by dblightstream View Post
I go many times a week to a Vipassana meditation hall near my house. It is based upon mindful meditation. We do have mindful meditation sessions for people in 12 step recovery, but I can't say as that I have attended more than once. I prefer instead a non-divisional, inclusive approach to life in general, and don't really practice the 12 step philosophy, so I attend the other meditation sessions. But i love it! have been going for 2 years now!
I wish that were here or I were there ... but oh well! I also prefer to get support from a non-divisional, inclusive approach. That said do utilize 12 step support, mostly for social support. I really see most of me to be human related rather than something only alchoholics suffer from. We don't hold the monopoly on dukha, samsara or sacuditti (suffering, being asleep and self view). Sorry I spell all the words wrong. I refuse to worry about it

I interviewed at a Zen center in your neck of the woods... wow it was almost 25 years ago!!!! How time flies. I made the top 3 and then they chose none of us But it taught me a lot. One of the monks that I stayed with during the interview process told me to take a stand where I was. That served me well in practicing in the mid west for many years ... amazing how a drop of dharma can carry us for many years! I guess we have more in common with Cactus and Camels than we would like

My Buddhist practice is full of gentle chuckles most of the time!