View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TL1

Another chance? Post rehab.....

I would like to first say how glad I found this site, first time poster who is at the end of my rope with girlfriend. hoping someone may have some words of guidance.

Have been with my GF for a bit over a year, last 9 months has been living with me. We are what I consider a perfect match, same sense of humor and interests. FF to when she moved in, will try to keep it brief..
2nd month she is here I start noticing her smelling of booze when I get home but no bottles or glasses to be found. I ask if she was drinking and get a No. Over the next months I start getting curious and begin finding vodka and wine bottles hidden all over my house.

I confront her on it and she denies it and when I tell her what I found she storms off into our room and refuses to talk about it. Odd thing is that she only drinks when I am not around, never once when we go out to eat has she ordered a second drink in the past. She does suffer from depression and anxiety. This goes on at least 5 times over the next few months, sometimes finding her passed out in bed when get home from work when the sun is still out. I convince her to see a psychologist, She loves him and goes for several weeks . During this time she has a few more slip ups at home. She eventually stops seeing him.

During this whole time my stomach is in knots and my anxiety is full blown every time she is home alone or I go out with friends at night once in a while. What am I going to come home to I think in my head as I open the door? I even notice that I start cutting off contact with friends because I do not want to leave her home alone in fear of her drinking.

Final straw and my breaking point.....
2 weeks ago she called me from work to tell me she is on her way home as she always does. Should be home in one hour. After hour 2 rolls by I see her pull in. She staggers from her car and comes in, her eyes are blown and she had a ton of body spray on. Obviously drunk. Even more worrisome is that she drove home. I told her I was disappointed in her and we go to bed. No use arguing with her in this condition.
Next day she acts as if nothing happen. 2 days later I cannot take the pressure anymore. I love her but I feel like a parent or private eye awaiting her next move.
I sit her down and calmly tell her that I can no longer be in this relationship as it stands today. We talk cry and carry on professing how much we care about each other and she beats me to the punch with the options we have 1) she gets help and stays here 2) she leaves.

Based on her 6 or 7 other slip up and promises I chose #2. She loses it and breaks down.
She has no family nearby and her parents are both retired and travel non-stop with no permanent home here.
She starts packing and tells me that she is going to check into a in-house rehab. I tell her that I am proud of her. Then she asks that if she goes can she stay and come back after. My mind races and I think about the other times she slipped. I say not now, I need you to finish rehab and then get your own place for a little while and continue to get treatment, after a few months when you are in a better place you can come home.
She is devastated by this and I feel the lowest I have ever felt in my life. She left, right now she is with a friend and twice as far from work. Scheduled to go to rehab in 2 weeks.

My question......Did I do the right thing? Should I have said she can come home after rehab? I always read that after rehab a strong support and stable environment is key to not relapse. However I also know that rehab is not a cure and I cannot handle her coming back only to repeat the behavior in a few weeks.
What to do???????

Sorry for the long post.