View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fusion

Oh my, do I understand the cocker attributes. I have a working-trial blood-line Labrador - every tract of water has his name on it and he can't resist the gravitional force towards it: much like I was with alcohol.

Unfortunately, I have a stream across my land, with rather muddy banks. Yuck.

I need to teach my dog to dissociate from water, as I did from my alcohol obsession. Sadly, my dog doesn't possess that part of the neo-cortex that has the ability to transcend the urge/compulsion to jump into water. Unlike me, as a human being, I have the higher brain that's capable of transcending the alcohol urge, if I choose to put it into action.

Edited to add: actually my dog can enlist his brain to stop him jumping into water....if I offer a high enough incentive, a particularly juicy treat. But the moment the treat isn't offered, or I offer a lesser treat, he forgets, and goes straight back to his old water running days. He has no recollection, but humans do. My dog can't drive a car, operate machines, create awesomeness, but humans can...because of the great inhibitor neo-cortex, which AVRT calls in to action.