View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AlericB

The divided self

I've been ploughing through William James' "The Varieties of Religious Experience". It's a great laugh, and his description of the conversion process reminded me a lot of AVRT.

I thought I'd post the following quote to show what I mean. The parts in bold are what I think is the matching term from AVRT and the ellipses omit parts of the text that are overtly religious and so don't really fit.

Hope this makes some kind of sense anyway

He said, talking of deliverance:

It consists of two parts:

1. An uneasiness; and

2. Its solution.

1. The uneasiness, reduced to its simplest terms, is a sense that there is something wrong about us as we naturally stand [are in addiction]

2. The solution is a sense that we are saved from the wrongness by making proper connection with the higher powers [authentic self]

The individual, so far as he suffers from his wrongness [Beast] and criticises it, is to that extent consciously beyond it, and in at least possible touch with something higher, if anything higher exist. Along with the wrong part there is thus a better part of him, even though it may be but a most helpless germ. With which part he should identify his real being is by no means obvious at this stage; but when stage 2 (the stage of solution or salvation) arrives, the man identifies his real being with the germinal higher part of himself; and does so in the following way. He becomes conscious that this higher part is conterminous and continuous with a MORE of the same quality [authentic self] ... which he can ... in a fashion get on board of and save himself when all his lower being has gone to pieces in the wreck.

It seems to me that all the phenomena are accurately describable in these very simple general terms. They allow for the divided self and the struggle; they involve the change of personal centre and the surrender of the lower self; ... and they fully justify our feelings of security and joy.