View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Fusion

Last night, I met a member of the support group I used to frequent. She said 'how is it out there, I guess you'll come back when you're ready'. I replied, 'I've stopped drinking for good, I won't be coming back', she said' oh I'm sorry to hear that, dry-drunk is a state of limbo and white-knuckling is so exhausting, so you'll probably lose your grip and start drinking soon. We'll be there when you want to come back'. I explained that I'd discovered a way to stop drinking and I was happy and rebuilding my life. She said 'oh that's the denial we were warned about, you can't stay sober without AA'.

So, yesterday, I was reflecting on how to add more to this support group thread....then would you believe it, I was given more material to add here. Please don't think I'm gloating, I'm just so sad that other folks are stuck in the hamster wheel of addiction. There are numerous ways out, but being told that that there's only one way, is not beneficial. I have a G-d of. my choice, and s/he has proven to me, that stopping drinking was my birthright, as was alcohol addiction.

The power was always in my mind and so why would a support group choose to tell me that I was powerless and I should pray to the support group, or the door-knob, or Mother Earth or whatever. I'm glad I no longer have that type of support, it was a massive hindrance, it did nothing but keep me tethered to drinking.