View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fusion

Yes, my recovery from alcohol addiction was an action, following which I was recovered from addiction. I spent years 'in recovery' but it didn't work, for me.

My 'recovery' from the dreadful mess of a life I caused by drinking, is entirely separate and independent from my 'recovered' state from addiction. As a 'recovered former alcoholic', I don't have to protect that status by attending meetings, phoning someone, or sponsoring someone, avoiding slippery places, not stepping in the crack on the pavement. My new identity as a non-alcoholic, is a permanent status and completely independant of any outside support group, source, higher power or removal of any character defects. That is why I state I have freedom and truly, it's so liberating.

I hang around SR on an altruistic basis, hoping to assist someone who's tried the usually recommended route, but to no avail. If that route works for someone, great......but I personally lost years in the quagmire of ,'disease and powerlessness'.

I am still in awe, at the transformation in me, when it clicked that I always possessed the power to stop drinking, that addiction was just a lower/mid-brain issue, that my neo-cortex (ME the neo-cortex inhibitor, logic and reasoning - as opposed to the lower/mid-brain automatic, learned, operant, behaviour, survival drive) as are my family and friends, that I didn't push away whilst drinking.

I simply can't describe the impact this has had on other areas of my life. Whilst drinking I became very isolationist and was subsumed by negative thoughts, for which I sought professional guidance. Amazingly, the psychologist and psychiatric who's material I read, are effectively recommending AVRT, the psychologist, credits JT!