Old 05-05-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by nonsensical
Brains are weird.
lol yes!! I have weird fleeting thoughts like you described in your post. I think honestly everyone does to differing degrees.

Once many years ago my ex was standing in front of my jeep after I dropped the kids off to him and I thought to myself "I could just gun it and mow him down in like 2 seconds" I wasn't even especially mad at him lol I would never do that. I'm not even a violent person.

The brain does do some very weird stuff, but we override it all the time. I mean if I have to urinate, I don't just do it in the middle of the aisle while shopping at Walmart. We all practice restraint daily in ways big and small and ways we often aren't even cognizant of, but for some reason when it comes to putting alcohol and drugs in our bodies society likes to tell us that this is beyond our control.

I would agree that if we have been giving in to desires/compulsions (drinking/using) for a very long time it may take a significant shift in thinking to break that cycle, but it is definitely within our capabilities. Without a doubt.

Feeling like something is impossible and something actually being impossible are two different things.