Old 05-05-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MesaMan

I've been thinking about what possible illumination I could add to this Thread. Soberlicious pretty much spoke for me in Post #7 above.

My Mind healed me. I also knew when to 'set it aside'. I was burning through a 1.75 L 'Handle' of Vodka every ~2 Days. A 24/7 buzz from 3 Handles stashed behind the Guest Bed. Behind the Furnace. In a Plastic Carrier in my SUV. If someone says I was not 'A Real Alcoholic', I simply laugh at them.

When I drop something, I automatically try to deflect it with my Foot here, since we have polished, tinted Concrete Floors. Most times, I pull it off. In this, and in the situations cited above, my Response is automatic. No time, or inclination, to 'think'. And, I'm a Science-type, Rational Guy.

I think we can invoke this sort of Automatic Response to varied AV tricks that try to rope us back into indulging. In those Scenarios, I used this same sort of almost-Muscle Memory to simply do 'The Right Thing': isolate out the AV from 'The Real Me'. I would not have sobered up without my Mind, which started to work again some after ~1 Week of Sobriety. Not perfectly - obviously - but 'well enough' to slog on.

Thinking, and Autonomic Responses, can and do co-exist. If I think too much when I drop a Glass toward the Floor, it'll break; due to me not responding automatically.

If you can, work on developing this sort of default, automatic AV response, and think it through/analyze it later.
- The Real Me - The Who - Live -