Old 05-04-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

Originally Posted by AlwysConflicted View Post
I am set in that belief and that in order to manage and control it I must address the underlying issues to be able to manage it. I feel that without understanding the reasons behind why I even let this grow and consume me this way it will only bounce from one habit of mine to another.

But am I overthinking it?
I personally think so (you asked! ), but what you think is ultimately what will have to guide you. A lot of folks get caught up on the notion that they have to solve the whole problem all at once, drinking/using as well as why you drank/used, why you acted the way you acted, on and on, but that's actually not true - if you want to stop drinking and using, the only thing you absolutely must do is stop drinking and using, and in time (weeks, months) our thinking clears up and what seemed really important early-on or before we quit, doesn't always seem so important anymore.

I don't know your details, but when we relapse there's always something to learn to help us not relapse the next time, at least not the same way. Not necessarily deep answers, but maybe simpler things - what could I have done differently to prevent that outcome?