Thread: Why?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
teatreeoil007

Originally Posted by AlwysConflicted View Post
doing the things we know will have the best effects on ourselves and our happiness are also the things which require the most effort as you say above for every effort you reap the benefits.

I've relied on instant gratifications instead, unwilling to put in the required effort or simply not bothered when I had a easier option infront of me, out of laziness and out of that need to have the quick fix instead of having to work for it and it seems that more and more people are coming to rely on the abundance of quick fixes instead of putting in the work. Fad diets, medications, shortcuts etc. Again I question myself as to why I still do this when I know 100% that the more effort you put into something the more you get out of it. Can I really have become that lazy and ungrateful that i'm not even bothered to put in a bit of effort to give myself a good life.

I will use the fiddle and guitar analogy. I went to few workshops and I remember one thing that was stressed: Becoming better at playing is NOT a magic formula really, (providing you have a basic ear for music.)
You need to practice. And you don't need to practice for 5 hours a day even. But you do need to practice. Turn off the TV, get off the computer and just practice. Every bit of practice and effort you put into the instrument you will get back 100%.

Also, with a good wood instrument, the more you play it and older it is the BETTER it sounds. It doesn't matter what it looks like. In the bluegrass world looks just don't matter for most part. What matters is the sound, the tone, and the SOUL you can express through the music. And, you don't get into bluegrass for the money as it is not a big money maker. You do it for the heart and soul. The workshops given at bluegrass festivals is FREE and anyone can attend. The performers are approachable, you can even jam with them if you like. This is a 'grass' movement in more ways than one. It is kept simple on purpose, all accoustic, no amps.

And, IMO, the best country music vocalists were bluegrassers first. Here is a short list: Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs, Patty Loveless, Alison Krauss, Chris Stapleton, Travis Tritt.

What's my point? People really do yearn for the basic roots. Even rock bands tend to do an "unplugged" version of theirselves.