View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  
HelenofTroy
Living the life

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
My life has made so many turns for the better as a result of stopping drinking AND changing my thinking.
Thanks Glee. I am just starting to get this. I've always heard about "stinking thinking" and always thought that was about *other* folk lol.

I have been very blessed to have had a "successful" life and career, yet this is probably more in spite of rather than because of my thought processes. I have read that those who have issues with drugs or alcohol have a sort of arrested development where they stay mentally at that maturity level of when they began. I can say that in some ways that has been true for me. Even though to all outside appearances I have always tried to do the right things, to be the mature adult when it came to raising my kids or doing my job, deep down in my head I've always felt like a rebellious teenager who was always looking to get away with something. After only six months of sobriety not only can I really see that now but I can also see how problematic that mindset is and how truly fortunate I have been that nothing has really come back to bite me in the backside. In short, I feel like I am finally growing up. I'm not quite there yet; I still have issues with self-discipline (get off the computer and do something constructive! lol) but I am a work in progress.

Have a good one everyone