View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mason9999

30 Days sober today and a sudden change.

I have been a daily drinker for roughly 18 years. A functioning alcoholic with a decent job and social life, but the worsening hangovers were starting to really impact me, and worries over the long term damage to my body and mind. I quit cold Turkey exactly 30 days ago, with minor withdrawal symptoms for the 1st three days, and then the misery really kicked in. I had read that alcoholics often fail because it feels more painful to not drink, and I experienced this first hand. The absolute worst was the fatigue, slight insomnia and MAJOR Brain Fog. I've been lurking on this forum, and have seen these as common complaints, but to experience it was scary. Craving wise, the weekends are my only worry, but I have a good support team to help me through.

After 29 days of misery and wondering if I would ever feel normal, the strangest thing happened: I woke up today feeling better than I have in 10+ years. Not 100% perfect, but 200% better. Has anyone experienced the same sudden lifting of the Brain Fog and fatigue? I'm hoping it's permanent, but I expect bad days still ahead, but know I can get through them knowing I can feel like this again.

I'm typing this on my lunch break at work after having the most productive morning since I can remember. I've heard it gets more painful each time after a relapse, so another huge reason to stay sober. I'm lucky in a sense that the majority of my friends are non-drinkers, and their activities don't center around alcohol. Now maybe I can join in instead of sneaking off early to run home and drink myself to sleep.