View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
got_2loveme
Heather

It's very hard to teach an old dog new tricks

I have a father that is 78 years old, I consider him to be a "dry drunk". In combination with that I have a dad who is 53 & I know he is a "dry drunk". For me, I have to accept the fact that I can only help those who are willing. It hurts, but I believe what the Big Book tells me !! Which is that - we kill ourselves with selfishness - seldomly do we read that the drugs & alcohol kill us. However, we know that to be a big part of deaths within the world today. But our self centeredness is all inclusive with that. So if we were to get "clean/sober" & only remain "clean/sober" - Chances are eventually were going to surrender to God & this simple God given program. Or else we are going to live miserable with or without the use of drugs &/or alcohol. That in essence is what makes me believe that it's "very hard to teach an old dog new tricks" !! It begins with openmindedness !! And chances are, for alot of our "elders" they have one track minds !! So, as selfish as this sounds - when it comes to something as you are encountering - if it were me, I can only go so far - until I have to withdraw myself, because for me, thats awhole lot of negative energy (being placed in the presence of someone that state of mind & body) . . And then I just start letting it rent space in my head!! The only thing that I can do in situations such as this - whether the person be young or old - is pray for them & be greatful it's not me !! Self will cannot overcome self will !! I'm grateful to have awareness of this today !!