Old 04-29-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The uncotrollable cravings are caused by the presence of alcohol in the system. It takes three or four days to get detoxed, so that is how long it takes for the cravings to go away.

After that, the main problem centres in the mind. The obsession to drink will keep cropping up and trying to convince you it is ok to drink now. "It is so hot, I would love a drink, I am so angry I need a drink"or just "a drink would be so nice" .

My mind associated drinking with good times, and even though the good times were long gone, it still held out the hope that things would be different this time. They never were, other than being worse. Whenever the going got tough, I craved the good times that alcohol used to bring.

That was alcoholism. I needed to find a more satisfactory way of living to deal with that. Now it never occurs to me to drink. In fact craving the good times (the delusion) left me the minute I got started on a program of recovery. So for me, both types of craving were gone within a week or two.