View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
spookyboo22

Originally Posted by Txbuttercup View Post
I know how you feel, spooky. Death is a real possibility for my AH, and I feel if I do or say the right thing at that right moment it may save his life. I feel an obligation, that his life is in my hands at times. "If only he knew 'X', he wouldn't do this!" I've been certain I had the magic key, the last being a website with brain scans of alcoholics that showed how long it takes to repair, even during sobriety. I realize how naive that was now. I was horrified. Him, not so much.

I am not particularly religious, but at an alanon meeting someone likened this to thinking you're God, that you and you alone have the power to influence and change the hearts of those you love. By interfering so deeply, we are putting ourselves between them and God, cutting off that connection. If we back away, the "big man" can do his work, and unfortunately for some, that means taking away their pain in the most permanent of ways. Don't know if I agree, but it made me think.

I'm sorry for your pain, please keep us posted.
Thanks txbuttercup!

I'm sorry to hear about your AH. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you.
I know all about finding the magic key. I tried for years to do this and I realised it was futile.
I do see what they are saying at al anon.
Where they talk about stepping aside to let the big man do his work, it reminds me of an African prayer which goes something like "pray and move your feet, pray and move your feet"
I feel the big man will do his work whether I say something or not.
Good luck with everything hun x