Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 10:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

Hi Scott, I guess I AM still confused.

Neither boy wants treatment, the state has no or little resources, you can't have them in your home (affecting other children).

If your insurance won't pay, and if your state has no money for treatment beds, then I agree with Carol - the Salvation Army is a good bet! They are free.

The key is, I believe they are voluntary, so if your son does not want to go, then he may have to find his "bottom" on the street.

In Alanon, I learned about the 3 Cs...I didn't CAUSE it, I can't CONTROL it, and I can't CURE it. That isn't just a cute saying - it is the truth, and one that I continue to relearn.

Trying to manipulate the criminal system into pushing your son into treatment could backfire... leaving you holding a lot of blame. There was a time I would have done exactly that, though, in order to save my child. After some bad outcomes, today I hope I would not do that.

It took me doing everything I could possibly do and failing before I "gave up" and let my daughter go onto the street. She has decided for her own reasons to get clean and sober... forgoing all the chances and opportunities we had thought we had so well provided for her.

Today, I know it is her life to live, one that is likely guided by a Higher Power and not by ANY thing I can do.

I hope you can find some help for your son. The reason I posted the link in my last response was because that treatment center has a nationwide reputation for an excellent family program.... not many treatment centers do.