Thread: I'm new to this
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 12:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
highlonesome

Originally Posted by MrMcTell View Post
Firstly, there is nothing embarrassing about being an alcoholic around here. You are among like-minded people who know what a pernicious and awful illness alcoholism is.

I too am not an AAer. Though I still have that on the table as something I might do.

I echo what Dee says about the Newcomers Forum. It is probably the most active part of he site (?), so a good place to go if you want to read material in real time, and make connections with people.

I am currently three months sober, using a few ideas from AVRT (see the Secular Connections forum) and the 24/7 support of SR. If I had to give you two pieces of advice, they would be:

1) Learn the basics of Addictive Voice Recognition Therapy/ AVRT. (The basic idea is to separate yourself from your addiction and recognize any thoughts of drinking as Addictive Voice/ AV [i.e. your addiction speaking not you]. From there, you can dismiss these thoughts as "just your addiction speaking" much easier.) It seems ludicrously simple, but if you can make a genuine, firm commitment to quit, then this is a very powerful tool. The bottom line is that you are in control over whether you drink the first drink. Your addiction cannot make you get up and drive to the store to buy liquor without your participation.

2) Stick close to SR. I was skeptical when I first signed up that it would make any difference, but I recognize now that that skepticism was just my addiction trying to protect itself. Post often. Join the April support thread.

[Remember: Anything you are reluctant to do in recovery may be your addiction protecting itself from change. This doesn't mean you can't pick and chose what will work for you, but don't be dismissive of your options.]

Just my opinions for what they are worth. Congrats on making a positive decision in your life.
Congratulations on 3 months! AVRT is something that I would like to explore more. It does seem easy, but I know it isn't. Just yesterday I told my wife that I realized that I already allowed myself to drink that night while I was at work. I don't know when it happened, or under what circumstances (and it was even more strange that it wasn't a particularly stressful day - it was good, in fact). But, it was something I noticed and your words are encouraging. Still, I went to the bar after work and picked up a bottle of wine on my way home.

I will be on this site more in the future. My addiction protects itself like nothing I have ever experienced. Sometimes it feels like the final battle, and I am losing. Badly. I also accept this the most when I drink; when the morning comes around I am strong, and I get more an more weak as the day wears on. Maybe habit, absolutely addiction.

Your opinions are worth their weight in gold, by the way