View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

My wife still drinks very occasionally, but i have lots of relatives who drink at family gatherings, etc.

For me, the most important part of getting sober was first accepting my addiction. Whether other people around me drink or not is really kind of irrelevant in that respect - temptation is everywhere, all the time. Certainly if it's right in your house it's a lot closer, but it's still just a temptation. The second part that was most important to me was having a solid sobriety plan and working on it every day, which I still do. A "plan" is a very general term, but there are meeting based recovery programs, self paced, books, forums, therapy, rehab, a whole host of things. I think the most important thing is to find one ( or many ) that work and set aside time each and every day to work on it. That will help you remember why you don't drink anymore and give you tools to help when temptation arises.

Regarding your spouse, have you actually had an honest conversation about your desire to quit? And the temptation you are feeling when they drink? It's quite possible that they might be willing to refrain from drinking around you or at least keeping it discrete, in a different fridge, etc. Not always possible but it's a conversation you should at least have if you haven't done so.