Thread: TIQ aka THIQ
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 02:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AlericB

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
Were made different for sure. That's why acceptance is a major key in beating alcoholism. Surrender to the fact that you can't drink anymore. For me that was the only way I could move on with life. It's such a simple, logical way of thinking. Yet alcoholics will go to there grave without ever realizing this. I don't get it? We're physically different from others. We're born this way. Alcohol is poison. Just stay away from it. It's sickening. I hate this disease like no other.
I agree. Acceptance is the key for me anyway. Something that sounds so passive and easy is probably the hardest thing in the world!

TIQ is interesting because once produced the body cannot get rid of it and this could explain why alcoholics experience a sense that they have crossed a line and that if they relapse even after many years they carry on from where they left off, or from an even worse state with the kindling effect.

I'm mainly interested in the science of alcoholism though in so far as it aids my acceptance. I'm not a neuroscientist but I imagine there are many alternative theories on this subject and my acceptance is not contingent on any particular one being the right. To me, this model of the role of TIQ is just more more reason to favour sobriety over moderation.

I hope in time (I'm on day 39) that I will embrace sobriety for the more positive reason that it will make my life more enjoyable. And from all the accounts here on SR it looks that that is something that will happen.