Thread: Hidden liquor
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fusion

Congratulations on six months, Doug!

I too hid bottles, both full and empties. Sometimes I'd forget where I hid the full ones and would enter panic mode as I searched.

One day last year, after my husband pleading with me to stop, he found some empties in a wardrobe and under a bed - so he conducted a search of the entire house, garden etc., and collected an enormous number. He lined the bottles up across the top of my study desk, bookcase, filing cabinet and floor. He led me there and we stood at the door - I was devastated, ashamed, embarrassed.

BUT, for me, I'm glad he did, because it finally sunk in. He said he didn't know how long they'd accumulated over, but he didn't want to stay and watch me drink myself to death. I was a member of AA and had worked the steps and told him I was trying. He replied, well, you've succeeded at everything else in your life and if AAs not working, for you, then, please, please try something else, I don't want you to die! So, I joined SR and found a recovery technique that worked for me.

But, everyone is different and to be honest, those bottles lined up could've pushed me over the edge, but my husband knew me and thankfully, his actions and words, gave me the wake-up call and momentum to finally stop the addiction, forever.