View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 10:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

For me the problem was removed very early on, the realisation coming at step nine, three months in. Since that time I have not given much thought to drinking or not drinking. It is a redundant concept. In the same way that I once couldn't not drink, I now could not drink even if I tried. It has about as much attraction as drinking petrol, and my ability to drink is about the same as my ability to fly.

Funny, but I don't wake up each morning deciding whether I will fly or not today. Because I can't fly. Same goes for alcohol. I can't drink, so no decision needs to be made.

I can't drink in this context means I am incapable of drinking , as opposed to the conditional I can't drink because of the consequences.

This is the result of the AA program. If tempted, I recoil as if from a hot flame. The permanent aspect of recovery seemed to kick in at step nine, though of course I could not know that at the time. I can only see how it has worked in hindsight. In all lifes ups and downs since that time, it has never occurred to me to drink.