Old 04-25-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
paulokes

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
You can always choose happiness. It's really that simple. It's within you and it's always available. It's not something that you need to get from someone else or from other circumstances outside of yourself.
Let me echo this...the realization that I can be happy...even in the midst of incredibly difficult/frustrating/upsetting life circumstances is the biggest side effect of my ongoing recovery. You might even say it's one of life's deepest secrets. Like the Buddhists say Life is Suffering...so what do you do with that information? Stay sober and miserable, stay drunk or look for a third way?

Am I happy all the time? Hell no. But I am amazed at my ability to sometimes find happiness regardless of outside circumstances and without turning to drink to blot everything out. Only found this out because I came to realise drink no longer works.

I've heard them say recovery is an inside job. Not being able to find peace...regardless of whatever storm is going on outside us...maybe that is the biggest factor in a lot of people's relapses.

P