Thread: cutting back???
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 01:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
earlybird

Originally Posted by chip
So many of you have given me some good advice. Thank you. For now, I will take it day by day. If I'm like you all, I too will find that moderation doesn't work. Honestly, I've never really tried moderation because my patterns of drinking have always been excessive.

Right now, I'm working on being honest with myself.
chip

D E N I A L

Its a very BIG six letter word. You seem to be on the fence. You seem to know you shouldnt drink anymore, but you still WANT to drink. You also keep using the word "moderation". Once you cross that line from normal social drinker to heavy, problem, alcoholic drinker,....its all over. There is no going back to moderation. Thats like saying "Im going to try and be 12 years old again". Its gone,...over,...cant go back. You cant have the problem with booze you have and be a social drinker. I mean,...its like swallowing a case of Ex-Lax and trying to only poop a little.

You seem to not be able to see what is right in front of you. For instance, you know that your third drink will be at 11pm. Doesnt it occur to you that if you were to ask a social drinker what time his or her third drink will be at, they'd look at you funny and go "huh??" They couldnt answer that. They wouldnt know HOW to answer that. They dont think about stuff like that. You have set times you drink. That means you set aside time to drink. Its THAT important to you. That is a problem. You also said in one of your posts that you dont have time or cant commit to treatment or detox.
If your doctor said to you "Chip,..you have cancer,....if you dont get treatments, you only have 4 months to live,....but if you do get treatment, I can guarantee you atleast 10 more years",...you would suddenly have time to commit Im thinking. The problem most drunks have is that they dont associate death with this disease. You are essentially saying that you dont have time to save your own life. Is your job more important than your family? Or your health? Or your life??? This WILL kill you. It doesnt discriminate. Its cunning, baffling, and powerful. This disease is the only one that TELLS you, that you dont have a problem when you really have a HUGE one. I just cannot believe that you have yourself believing that social drinkers have 4 or 5 drinks A DAY !!! They dont. They might have 4 or 5 a month !! MIGHT !!