View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
here, too. and usually add

my behavior was unacceptable back then and im very glad that im not that man any more.
I'm very much the same.

I'm a dedicated AA-er so I believe in making amends (for the past, and per the Big Book's directives/suggestions as to how) and in Step 10, which is living in a state where ongoing amends are made quickly and as needed. I try my best to live on my side of the street, which is honest, upstanding, giving and credible now. There's a phrase in the BB I really like - "we should not regret the past nor shut the door on it" (paraphrase 4th ed) - it also talks about how we are not meant to ceaselessly apologize or be demoralized (by our self talk or what others do or say) by our mistakes and past behavior.

My life is completely different than it was during my active and SEVERE alcoholism. Some people are lost to me permanently, and I know I will come across some who have whatever opinions about me they have, good or very bad - I can't control that, just my (non) reaction to it.

Honestly, by living my program, I really don't care what people think or say - that's their business. Mine is living a great sober life.