Old 04-24-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The reason I kept drinking was because I didn't believe, or want to believe I was alcoholic. Being alcoholic meant I could not drink and would have to do a few things I would rather not do, like become rigorously honest. So I followed the great delusion. Even while attending AA, the delusion was still there, and it told me I didn't really need to do all that stuff, as I would be able to find another way out, maybe an easier way where I could still drink.

It wasn't until I got down to the two final choices, live by spiritual principles or face an alcoholic death, that I really understood the seriousness of my situation and became willing to do something about it.

Those early AA's didn't seem to have much trouble with willingness. Like Bob many had searched for a solution and become despondent when none was available. When AA came along, they grabbed it like the drowning grab life preservers.

Up until that point I didn't take any action because I didn't think I needed to, and so I continued to drink. When I ran out of options, I became willing.