View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by GaryB1 View Post
Like Trimpey
"Stay away from recovery groups of all kinds lol
He does say that, but RR is aware that AVRT is being discussed on SR, since a couple people have sent them 'thank you' e-mails. They have decided to allow this, apparently, which they would absolutely never allow if it were done as part a 'for fee' professional arrangement. They purposefully deny use of AVRT to the addiction treatment industry, so that AVRT remains a viable method of inexpensive and independent recovery.

Like yourself, the RR folks are probably concerned about AVRT being misrepresented, however.

While the pure AVRT reading on Secular Connections has been very informative, I think I have gotton all I can out of it.
A discussion forum is an ideal setting for AVRT discussion, IMO, because it allows a certain amount of back-and-forth, which is necessary for catching the Beast in action, and because it also saves a history of past discussions, which never really 'expire'. People can learn from past AVRT discussions, if they take the time to read through them.

But the detrimental side of the "recovery movement" comes into it a lot if you read around on the full site and I don't need this.
The people on the main forums mean well, in that they wish to help, but unless they read up on it, they won't necessarily understand what AVRT is about, and may contradict its basic tenets. It is simply unrealistic to expect that they will provide solid advice on AVRT proper. My advice to those who wish to learn AVRT is to post their questions in this forum, rather than on the main forums.

So many things I disagree with even on Secular Connections, even on some of the AVRT threads.
"Intergrating the Reptile" is just one thing on the AVRT discussion thread that disgusted me.
There are a couple of people who know what AVRT is about, but since it is different from what they are comfortable with, they continue to try to re-frame it as something else. I won't name any names, because they must know who they are if they keep doing it, and their objections do provide an opportunity to properly explain AVRT.

If you practice AVRT you cannot mix disciplines with other "recovery methods"..it taints the message
I certainly tend to agree with this, although I also think that there are certain unique insights into the nature of the Addictive Voice that only AVRT provides, and which can be useful to anyone, even if they don't use AVRT proper as the center-piece of their recovery.

The problem with mixing AVRT proper with other approaches is that AVRT is based on the certainty principle, and will identify uncertainty and self-doubt as the AV itself suggesting more drinking or using. In contrast, other approaches tend to be based on the uncertainty principle, whereby drinking or using has to be actively prevented from happening.

The axioms are different, and that is just the way it is.

That said, although I do like to see additional solid input on AVRT on the forums, such as yours, RR actively encourages people to move on from their recovery. I wish you well with your endeavors.

Thank you for your input, sir.