View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Zircon

Hi,
I'm a nurse. Have been for the last 30 years. I worked for 6 years after my brain hemorrhage. For me it resulted in blindness in my R eye, weakness and lots of strange feelings on my R side. For what I'm told I'm pretty lucky to be here. As a nurse, it was hard for me to accept I couldn't fix me! LOL. Thank goodness my cognitive function wasn't effected, accept for the normal getting old stuff! During this time of working, I also so taking care of my MIL, with dementia with some psychosis! She was a 24/7 care. This took a huge toll on my medical issues! Then, I had my mom in failing health, being the nurse I was also helping with her care!
She passed away in 2015. Then I guess put the added stress of watching my AH verbally abuse his mother. Saying things a son should never say to his mother. There was no support from his sister to take the mother, she blankly refused to help when my mom passed away, and in my professional opinion, it was no longer safe for my MIL to be living with us, she required care I couldn't provide in the home.
I came home one day and my MIL was gone. My AH had left her on his sisters front porch! To make a long story, less long, his sister put her in a nursing home the day before Christmas because she had plans! Broke my heart!
After all this chaos, my MD told me this had taken quite a toll on my body and suggested I apply for disability. I'm a stubborn woman, and didn't want to admit I was so broken!
I finally broke down and applied, and was approved 3months later.
Little did I realize there would be so many more changes in my life!!
All of these changes have been difficult, I was a workaholic, and most of my identity as a woman and a person is wrapped around my nursing career! Loosing my mother was very hard, but I never had time to grieve. I was dealing with my MIL and my abusive AH.
Too many huge changes for one person!!
This past year has given me the time to accept the changes I can't do anything about.
I guess, I'm a fighter, but need to learn to trust the judicial system, and most of all accept the fact that I did the best I could in all the situations I was faced with!
I hope someday, I will be able to help someone else the way this forum has helped me!

Thank you,
Zircon