Old 04-22-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I relapsed for a couple months after two years of sobriety. My most typical triggers are when I try to reward myself for something well done, or escape from responsibilities I don't want to deal with into a drunken stupor. So it's been very important for me in sobriety to learn to reward myself in healthy ways and to resist the temptation for escaping as it never solves anything, just delays/exacerbates the problem. Basically, I just like the effect of alcohol, there isn't anything much more sophisticated about it. It's about pleasure-seeking. So it's important to have healthy things in my life that provide pleasure and satisfaction and not starve myself from these, neglecting basic needs. Every single time when I drank in spite of wanting to quit or maintain my recovery in the grander scheme, I basically gave into momentary impulses and desires. My biggest challenge about staying sober was learning how to handle those impulses without acting out. I really did not have more abstract or esoteric explanations or excuses.

I really like the advice BullDog posted above. That was also my issue countless times: thinking that I can get away with drinking and outsmart my addiction. Does not happen, or not for too long.