Thread: Question.
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wholesome

Question.

I have kept my decision to quit drinking for good very private so far, only telling a handful of people in my life, just those closest to me. I am starting to get out and about again after hiding away while I waited for things to normalize for me. I am wondering whether I should tell other people about my decision..... people like my in-laws, my own family members, friends who aren't the closest to me. I am not embarrassed or anything, quite the opposite, I'm thrilled to be free and I feel fantastic on so many levels. What is concerning me is that I don't want people to treat me different or be uncomfortable around me because of cultural stigmas. I don't want people to do silly things like hiding that they are drinking from me or treat me like I need to be sheltered from it. I don't want people to be weird with me. The few times I've been out and turned drinks down I've gotten these puzzled looks from people because they've always known me to be gung-ho for a drink or 6. On one side I want to be known as a non-drinker but on the other, I'm weary of the blowback. I have a dinner and drink thing this weekend for my boyfriends birthday with his family and a bunch of friends and I'm totally fine going and comfortable knowing that I will stay for dinner and leave when the drinks really start flowing..... I'm feeling like I may need to start offering an explanation for why I'm not partaking like I used to though. How did you folks handle letting people know you'd quit drinking? I'm not sure if I should say something or if I should just keep doing what I'm doing and let them wonder? It's not like I owe anyone an explanation but I don't feel like I have anything to hide either. It's a good thing that I quit, I should be proud and I am.