Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 12:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

Hi Mani and Scott.

Both my kids are addicts, 4 inpatient rehabs between the 2 in the past 18 months.

Daughter was a minor for her first 2, but we still had trouble as my state (Washington) does not allow involuntary commitment of minors. So we waited until she was coming down (crashing) and was a bit vulnerable... and just asked her if she would like to go to a 2-day drug assessment. This was the advice of the treatment center (www.sundown.org) in Yakima, Wa. She agreed.

Son never did agree, so we kicked him out (he was 18). He started getting in trouble with the courts and because of his pot/alcohol addiction was unable to comply with court ordered outpatient treatment. They finally gave him the choice of jail or inpatient. By then, he was ready, I think. But that was a looong 2 years for us. Today, he is 20, sober and working recovery.

Daughter is clean, not really working recovery, pregnant and has many of her addict behaviors. She is 18 and living with her newly sober addict boyfriend.

The link I provided has a toll-free number. They accept state funding and have many patients from out of state. They man their phones 24 hours a day and the reception staff (and all staff, for that matter) are either in recovery or have a family member in recovery. They are wonderful and a great resource. Please give them a call.

They might suggest Alanon for you. If they don't, I do. Alanon helped me with MY sickness of fear, terror, worry and obsession. They saved my life. No exaggeration. I hope in your search for a rehab center you can also find some Alanon meetings in your area.

Peace.