Thread: Really???
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Nik, ugh, that sounds so stressful. Does your stepdaughter go to school?

If she is not a student there is no reason, IMO, an 18 year old should get to live with you, supported by you, and contribute nothing. Her "conflicted" statement shows her immaturity. If she did not have a free roof over her head I expect the real world would unconflict her in a hurry. Hopefully, anyway.

[QUOTE]and basically have told her to shape up or ship out[/QUOTE

I think this is the right response. Actually, shaping up (being respectful and appreciative) is the least she can do. She should also contribute to your household. If she's busy with school and that limits her time to work that's different but not much.

Where does her dad stand on this?

I'm sorry, this sounds super hard and I know enforcing anything is way easier said than done. But I think your instincts of not tolerating her behavior are dead on.

It's sad she may go down the path her mom went, at least for a while, but as an adult that's her choice to make. Hopefully the counseling and example you provided these past 6 years will resonate and she'll make better choices. Her "bonding" with her mom over wine is unfortunate but kind of understandable.

In the meantime, you and your husband have to decide what you'll tolerate from her and what you'll do to enforce your decisions.

Prayers for strength and wisdom!