View Single Post
Old 04-15-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Beth260

Originally Posted by ajarlson View Post
Take care. Going NC with my mom was the worst, mainly because society just figures as a daughter it's your responsibility to be there for her. Never mind that she didn't raise me. Never mind that she has a son that she DID raise. I'm the daughter, it's my responsibility. Her friends and some extended family were so abusive to me I had to block phone numbers and Facebook and start seeing a therapist. But, once that was all done it was FREEDOM and I was able to start getting my head straightened out and the anxiety levels went way down. She didn't want help she wanted an enabler. Sad. Stay strong and take care of yourself.
Yeah I think the mother/daughter aspect is one of the things I'm struggling with, up until this we were so close so it's a bit like losing a friend as well as my mum. I guess I'm lucky that she did raise me and was a good parent until a few years ago and by that point I was an adult living away from home so could distance myself from it a bit (or more honestly, bury my head in the sand for a while longer).

Everyone else in her life has already walked away, so on the one hand it means I'm not getting any grief because they've all made the same decision a while ago, but on the other hand makes it harder because I'm struggling with the fact that this leaves her with no one.

The thing is she has begged for help in the past and when she got it within days she was back to drinking heavily and begging for help again

I have been through months worth of posts on this and the acoa forum, it has helped me so much already