View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Alan6154

I was a pretty hardcore daily maintenance drinker. For the last 10 years of my drinking I was rarely ever what I would consider drunk, but then again I was never sober. Toward the end I bought a breathalyzer and my waking BAL was normally about .08, I never checked it at night because by then I didn't care. But many of you have been there. Two shots and a beer in the morning so you can brush your teeth without vomiting maybe another beer so you can hold a coffee cup with steady hands. The first time I tried to quit cold turkey I ended up in the hospital on the third day for three days worth of sedatives and IV's. The doctor told me later if I hadn't come into the ER I would have been dead by dark. This time around I tapered myself down which was still pretty uncomfortable over 10 days and the quit. That was December 14, 2016. And moderation doesn't work. There is probably 1000 years of experience and effort trying to make it work on SR right now who've found that out. When you get to a certain point there is SOBER and there is DRINKING. There is absolutely nothing in between.