Old 04-12-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
This has to happen for me, IT is all mixed into my beliefs and self image/ identity in really insidious ways.
Your Beast is telling you that you are your Addictive Voice. The Beast will try to convince you that IT is you, and that ITs deprivation is your deprivation. IT will even try to have you take on ITs self-identity (ie., "I'm an alcoholic"), so that there is no separation whatsoever. The Beast is the alcoholic.

The strength of AVRT lies in the removal of the Option to drink some more, so that one is forced to adapt to life, one way or another. Remember that AVRT is not about 'choosing not to drink today', it is about deciding once to remove the Option of ever choosing to drink or not drink ever again. We remove the choice from the table. No more choosing not to drink.

With the inner debate finally ended, and a new mandate in place, the stage is set for real personal development, previously hindered by the Beast's agenda. Remember, though, that personal development is not a contingency for abstinence, but rather, a probable consequence. If you believe that if development does not happen, you may explode into drunkenness, you are failing to recognize your Addictive Voice.

I got indoctrinated into drugs and alcohol by my parents as a teen, some really whacky family values that set me up. From the beginning, this was my life.
The Beast will try to convert whatever fears or misfortunes you may have into concrete plans to drink or use, by twisting reason in its favor, and arguing both sides of all arguments. IT would argue for more drinking regardless of your particular childhood.

Either way, a rotten childhood can still make for a very good life in adulthood, zenchaser. You may even be wiser than others for your experience, and be able to teach your own children better.

AVRT has to be the way to end it once and for all.
This is your Addictive Voice. Notice the verb tense used, and the implied doubt about whether it is really over yet. When you doubt AVRT, you are only doubting yourself. AVRT is something that you do, by looking at your hands, and recognizing that you are always in control.

It's the way to get into my brain and identify/ replace all that faulty thinking.
The split in AVRT is very simple. Don't fall for the fatal trap of including everything but the kitchen sink in the definition of the Addictive Voice, as with the "underlying issues" idea promoted by psychologists. The Beast will have a field day if you do this, because it will then have ton of additional justifications for more drinking.

If "faulty thinking" is directing you to consume alcohol and other drugs, you may recognize that interpretation as your Addictive Voice, but not the issue itself. The Beast is a revisionist, and will try to change the motivation for drinking, from getting a really good high, to some other reason. Never allow the Beast to change the motivation for ITs personal parties.

I don't even know who my authentic self is? I've never met her.
Any thinking or feeling that supports, or even suggests, your possible future use of alcohol and other drugs is AV -- the Beast (IT) talking in your head.

Any thinking or feeling that contradicts your Big Plan in any way is AV -- the Beast (IT) talking in your head.

Any self-doubt about remaining perfectly abstinent suggests the opposite, and is AV -- the Beast (IT) talking in your head.

Everything else is you.